tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From cmanola...@yahoo.com
Subject Re: Problems with reloading contexts
Date Fri, 29 Jun 2001 02:25:59 GMT
Hi Mike,

Strange... I'll look into it, I was planning to review once again the
reloading code ( to detect changes in modules and reload them or the
context using them ), I'll try to reproduce and fix this one too.

Costin

On Thu, 28 Jun 2001, Mike Anderson wrote:

> I think I've found a problem with reloading in 3.3.  When a the ROOT context is reloaded,
it seems to blow away mappings to the other contexts, making them unavailable.  To demonstrate
this, I performed the following steps:

> 1. Bring up Tomcat (this is the easy part :-)
> 2. From a browser, access http://127.0.0.1:8080/servlet/SnoopServlet.  We get a valid
page back.
> 3. From a browser, access http://127.0.0.1:8080/examples/servlet/RequestInfoExample.
 We get a valid page back.
> 4. Change to $TOMCAT_HOME\webapps\ROOT\WEB-INF\classes and touch (or recompile) SnoopServlet.class.

> 5. Repeat step 2.  We get a valid page back, and logging shows that we remove context
DEFAULT:/ROOT and then readd it.
> 6. Repeat step 3. Now we get a 404 error and logging shows that we don't know anything
about an examples context.

> If I touch the RequestInfoExample.class file, we do shutdown and reload the DEFAULT:/examples
context, and examples and ROOT still work.  This works ok on 3.2.2 (and 3.2.3) but it fails
on 3.3m3 (earliest build still available in the binary area for 3.3) and with the current
codebase from CVS.

> I'll continue to look into this, but I wanted to post it so that anyone else that has
a little time, or more knowledge than me in this area (pretty much all of you ;-) could take
a look and see what's going on.  Plus, I'm going on vacation for the next 2 weeks and I'm
not sure how much time I'll be able to look at it.