tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From "Craig R. McClanahan" <craig...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Tomcat Admin Web Interface
Date Thu, 14 Jun 2001 19:24:02 GMT

On Thu, 14 Jun 2001, M B wrote:

> Hello All,

> documentation and administration (Re: ~rant~ Docs,
> user list, etc.), I am willing to contribute much
> effort in this area.  In addition to documentation, I
> am particularly interested in helping to build an
> administrative web interface for Tomcat 4.0, something
> similar to JRun Management Console, for example.

That would be awesome!

> Naturally, I want to coordinate my efforts with the
> Tomcat community.  Can anyone please point out where I
> should begin, or who I should contact?  Is there a
> project for this?  The Catalina TODO identifies John
> Shin as volunteer for producing an admin interface,
> but I thought I should email this list before
> contacting him directly.

He volunteered long, long, ago but I haven't heard anything from him
lately.

As it happens, I've been accumulating a list of functional requirements
for admin capabilities that I'd like to post for discussion.  I'll be
finished with what I'm thinking in the next couple of days.

What I'd like to see us do on issues like this is to discuss and agree on
a functional specs document that is checked in to the CVS repository, and
then start working together on the pieces.  It's a little more formal than
the usual :-) open source approach, but I think it will help in the long
run.  Does that sound like a useful plan?

> Thanks,
> Matt

Craig