tomcat-dev mailing list archives

Site index · List index
Message view « Date » · « Thread »
Top « Date » · « Thread »
From "Marc Saegesser" <marc.saeges...@apropos.com>
Subject RE: Tomcat standalone JVM running single servlet overruns heap
Date Wed, 20 Jun 2001 22:37:04 GMT
I've had very good luck in the past using JProbe to track down memory
problems.

> -----Original Message-----
> From: Tom Amiro [mailto:Tom.Amiro@Sun.COM]
> Sent: Wednesday, June 20, 2001 4:27 PM
> To: tomcat-dev@jakarta.apache.org
> Cc: tamiro@Sun.COM; tamiro@mediaone.net; kevinm@coolrunning.com
> Subject: Tomcat standalone JVM running single servlet overruns heap
>
>
> Hello,
>
> I tried to send this message before but it got bounced --
> probably the attachments.
>
> I've deployed a Java servlet that gets about 300-400 hits a day.
> Tomcat (standalone mode) keeps running out of memory and crashing.
> The servlet does an XSLTC transformation on an XML file about 1.5MB large,
> sending html to 'out'.
>
> Tomcat is dedicated to just this "little" servlet and some JSP
> data entry tools used
> to maintain the XML file. I've found that even when we refrain
> from using the data
> entry tools, and just let the servlet run, the problem still happens.
>
> At first, I thought I must be doing something wrong. So I did
> every thing I could
> to plug memory leaks in my code to free up resources once they are no
> longer referenced. I've closed all streams and set the
> transformation objects
> (dom, parser, translet) to null immediately after the
> transformation is done.
>
> I've collected data and can send you a graph. Today it showed the heapsize
> -- (rt.totalMemory()-rt.freeMemory() -- stayed around 5-6MB for 178
> hits on the servlet. Then it quickly went up. From 190 to 280 hits
> it averaged  40MB. Then at about 300 hits it went over 120MB and
> the servlet starting giving Out-of-Memory errors soon thereafter.
>
> In the very beginning, I sent mail to the users group and have implemented
> suggestions, like increasing the file descriptors to 1024,
> minimizing sessions
> (session.setMaxInactiveInterval(120), starting the Tomcat JVM with more
> memory (-Xmx160m).  That has helped somewhat. It takes longer to
> crash, but it hasn't stayed up more than 24 hours.
>
> Here's the configuration:
>
>   - Solaris 2.7 on an Ultra-2 with all the patches.
>   - one processor with 512MB memory
>   - Java 1.3 is installed (must have VMPI cause hprof works)
>   - Tomcat 3.2.2 jars
>   - Session timeout 120 seconds
>   - Using the thread pool with
>      max_threads 25
>      max_spare_threads 10
>      min_spare_threads 5
>
> I've been trying for almost a month to get past this memory problem.
> Something is wrong. If it is just operator error, then what could be
> my mistake. It is looking like a bug in Tomcat or the Java SDK. If
> it were a simple memory leak in my application code, then I'd think
> the heap size would go up progressively, since the servlet is doing
> the same thing over and over. The only difference betwee one hit
> from another is the parameters passed from the user that are feed
> to the XSLTC translet.
>
> I'm in software QA in the XTC center at Sun. In fact, I've been doing
> XSLT conformance testing on Sun's (now Apache XalanJ2's XSLTC) processor.
> I don't think the problem is in XSLTC but I'd be happy to be proved wrong.
>
> I'm not on tomcat-dev, so please copy
>
>     tamiro@mediaone.net
>     tamiro@Sun.COM
>
> Thanks,
>
> Tom
>
>
>
>


Mime
View raw message