tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From GOMEZ Henri <>
Subject JNI support in mod_jk : Was: kills apache 1.3.19 on tru 64 v5.1
Date Thu, 14 Jun 2001 05:59:36 GMT
>Henri, I've attached jni.h for you to look at.

I take a look at it. The jni.h enforce you to have _REENTRANT defined.
If you take a look in jk_mt.h (sort of thread wrapper), you'll see
that if _REENTRANT is defined, the wrapper consider you're running
in a multi-thread env (like Apache 2.0) and make use of some
pthread call like (pthread_mutex_init, pthread_mutex_lock,...).

That's why your new build failed since you've built apache with
pthread required.

>I've noticed from the tomcat-user mailing list that I'm not
>the only one who's
>had problems getting working with apache and tomcat
>on Tru64 UNIX. Do
>you have any idea why this is so? I've had no problems on my
>personal solaris 8

Solaris like many others OS didn't require the _REENTRANT defined.

What I propose you it to switch to jakarta-tomcat-connector where I should
add a switch in mod_jk to determine if you want jni support.
Also JF Clere as done a great job in adding autoconf support and static

Another very bad hack could be to add the HPUX11GCC define and remove
jk_jni_worker.c from the list of source files to be compiled.

Just take a look at

What about having a flag in autoconf stuff to activate jni support ?

Jean-Frédéric, could you add a switch to configure adding the jni flag or
may be better just have it disable when  --with-java-home is not set.

The rules will be :

- you want jni, set the java flags in configure.
- you don't care about jni, don't set java flags in configure.

Many sites use mod_jk in ajp12/ajp13 mode and didn't make use of jni.

It will help many users/dev to build mod_jk on their platform (HPUX,
TRUEUnix, OpenBSD).

View raw message