tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From <Peter.Ho...@BTFinancialgroup.com>
Subject RE: Anyone know why the ISAPI redirector works how it does?
Date Sun, 24 Jun 2001 22:25:35 GMT

You're right - it can't for filters - hence why it defaults to "Low".

A word of advice, if you are doing this on Win2K you also get into some hairy security issues
and what is happenning under IUSR, IWAM etc. accounts.  Keep it in mind if you start to see
some strange behaviour in you tests.

Cheers...Pete

-----Original Message-----
From: Andy Armstrong [mailto:andy@tagish.com]
Sent: Monday,25 June 2001 8:04
To: tomcat-dev@jakarta.apache.org
Subject: Re: Anyone know why the ISAPI redirector works how it does?

Peter.Horne@BTFinancialgroup.com wrote:

> Hi, I'm a new, late starter on this thread...
>
> My understanding is that IIS runs about 15 threads and for filters it runs it on one
of the threads, and for extension procs it uses the model defined in the application setup
of the virtual directory (Low [iis thread], Medium [pool thread], High [isolated, app specific
threads]).  From what I can see of the Tomcat code, because it has the Filter and Extension
call backs in the same DLL it will always default to Low (ie. as a filter).

> My understanding is that the best way to do the IIS/Tomcat integration is tricky - but
worth it.

> You would:
>
> o Have a separate filter to do the absolute minimum to check whether the URI is for a
Servlet - this would run on the IIS thread and then direct it to the Exension Proc.
> o Have a separate DLL implementing the extension proc and have it run in the High protection
model.
> o In the extension proc you would implement the asynch call back model where in simple
terms IIS passes the call to the Tomcat DLL, the Tomcat DLL then has its own pool of threads
to process the request by releasing the IIS thread and holding a ref to a callback sig function
so that when Tomcat has finished it sigs back to IIS that it is complete and IIS then takes
over again.  This is the way ASP works and makes sure you never get the dreaded "Server Busy"
response back to the client because the scarce IIS threads are exhausted.

> Apart from that, I haven't thought about it ;-)

Not much ;-)

I'm surprised that it can choose which thread to use for filters -- is
it not the case that filters are just called in the context of whichever
thread is handling a particular request?

I seem to be committed now to finding out empirically what's going on
inside IIS and which approach will yield the best performance, both for
requests delegated to Tomcat and for everything else the server's doing.

I'll be sure to try the approach you suggest -- it certainly sounds
reasonable.

--
Andy Armstrong, Tagish

This message and any attachment is confidential and may be privileged or otherwise protected
from disclosure.  If you have received it by mistake please let us know by reply and then
delete it from your system; you should not copy the message or disclose its contents to anyone.