tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From Arieh Markel <Arieh.Mar...@Sun.COM>
Subject Re: Tomcat Admin Web Interface
Date Thu, 14 Jun 2001 20:46:39 GMT
And following on this topic.

Following brief conversations during JavaOne with Craig, Costin, Remy,
I began thinking of developing some code (base in my past experience in
embedding Tomcat and subsequently 'advertising' my container through Jini)
that would allow to 'publish' the existence of Tomcat instances in
distributed environments.

The list of APIs that this could apply to includes but is not limited
to:
	Jini - would allow to have an RMI-based administrative interface
	SLP - to expose a service interface through the Service Locator
		Protocol
	JXTA - similar to the above, using the JXTA infrastructure and APIs

>From the perspective of my own experience, I have an initial implementation
of the first one (the one for the StorEdge embedding of Tomcat), while the
two others would force to develop a lot more code, since the support
infrastructure is not there yet (for JXTA at least, to my understanding).

--

In any case, if such contributions are deemed useful, there would be
a need to define the administrative service interface that Tomcat

--

What do you think ?

Arieh

PS - I forgot to mention a J2EE interface to manage Tomcat, which
     probably fits the view of those in the J2EE world.

> From: "Craig R. McClanahan" <craigmcc@apache.org>
> To: tomcat-dev@jakarta.apache.org
> Subject: Re: Tomcat Admin Web Interface
>

> On Thu, 14 Jun 2001, M B wrote:
>
> > Hello All,

> > documentation and administration (Re: ~rant~ Docs,
> > user list, etc.), I am willing to contribute much
> > effort in this area.  In addition to documentation, I
> > am particularly interested in helping to build an
> > administrative web interface for Tomcat 4.0, something
> > similar to JRun Management Console, for example.
> >

> That would be awesome!
>
> > Naturally, I want to coordinate my efforts with the
> > Tomcat community.  Can anyone please point out where I
> > should begin, or who I should contact?  Is there a
> > project for this?  The Catalina TODO identifies John
> > Shin as volunteer for producing an admin interface,
> > but I thought I should email this list before
> > contacting him directly.
> >

> He volunteered long, long, ago but I haven't heard anything from him
> lately.
>
> As it happens, I've been accumulating a list of functional requirements
> for admin capabilities that I'd like to post for discussion.  I'll be
> finished with what I'm thinking in the next couple of days.
>
> What I'd like to see us do on issues like this is to discuss and agree on
> a functional specs document that is checked in to the CVS repository, and
> then start working together on the pieces.  It's a little more formal than
> the usual :-) open source approach, but I think it will help in the long
> run.  Does that sound like a useful plan?
>
> > Thanks,
> > Matt
> >

> Craig

 Pray for snow !!!!                     Phone: (303) 272-8547 x78547