tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From cmanola...@yahoo.com
Subject Re: Tomcat 3.2.2 beta 4 - AJP14 continuation
Date Tue, 08 May 2001 17:30:36 GMT
On Tue, 8 May 2001, Andrey Kartashov wrote:

> What I'm trying to say is:
> To address this group of people I'd suggest splitting distribution into
> "pure java" Tomcat part + extensions. This way only NECESSARY files will
> make their way to "conf" directory. If someone is (for example) interested
> in running stand-alone TC - he only downloads "pure java" part. If he needs
> to hook it into some Web server like Apache or IIS - he downloads "apache
> extensions" or "IIS extensions", etc.

+1 on the idea - but for 3.2.2 it's out of question, and for 3.3 someone
has to do it - and closing bugs has bigger priority.

If this is an itch for you, and you want to propose something ( and write
some code ) - we're listening :-)

I think Henri is also considering spliting the distribution in
"base tomcat", web applications. The connectors are already in a separate
RPM.

BTW, I like very much the idea of keeping the WARs ( examples, admin,
etc) in separate distribution files.

It was on the "goals" list to produce a minimal container, that
implements the servlet API and nothing else, and separate the
"features". That didn't happen so far.

Costin