tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From Kief Morris <k...@bitbull.com>
Subject Re: cvs commit: jakarta-tomcat-4.0/catalina/src/share/org/apache/catalina/connector/htt p10 HttpConnector.java HttpRequestImpl.java
Date Tue, 08 May 2001 11:05:10 GMT
craigmcc@apache.org typed the following on 03:37 AM 5/8/2001 +0000
>  Make it possible to disable DNS lookups of the remote host name, for
>  Tomcat used stand-alone, even when the web app calls
>  request.getRemoteHost().  Lookups are enabled by default -- disable them
>  by modifying the <Connector ... disableLookups .../> attribute.

I think it would be better to have DNS lookups _disabled_ by default (doesn't
Apache httpd do this?). If someone really needs to get the hostname for
their app, they can take the trouble to enable it, but the "out of the box
experience" for Tomcat shouldn't be pig-slow for a probably unnecessary
feature. IMHO of course. ;-)

Kief