tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From (Douglas E. Hornig)
Subject RE: Solaris Sparc Performance Problem
Date Wed, 02 May 2001 06:42:27 GMT
I ran truss and it generated a ton of stuff that I frankly had trouble making much sense of.
 My approach for now is to work with some Sun engineers to try to get to the bottom of it.
 So far they have suggested trying the latest JDK (J2SE 1.3.1 RC2), and passing the requests
through apache (I'm running tomcat standalone now).  The latter may make the problem go away
since apache doesn't seem to suffer from the problem, but I consider it avoiding the problem
rather than solving it.  I have not tried either yet.

I'll keep you all posted if anything turns up.

--- You wrote:
Maybe I missed the response, but whatever became of this issue?

-----Original Message-----
From: Arieh Markel [mailto:Arieh.Markel@Sun.COM]
Sent: Tuesday, April 24, 2001 10:31 AM
Subject: Re: Solaris Sparc Performance Problem

Here is what I would do to see the differences:

        . on Solaris, run the application through truss

        . on Linux, run the application through strace

This should yield information about where the time is being spent.

I am also wondering whether the Solaris machine is properly configured
with regards to things like nameserver lookups, proxy setups, etc.

> Mailing-List: contact; run by ezmlm
> From: (Douglas E. Hornig)
> Subject: Solaris Sparc Performance Problem
> To:
amon.Central.Sun.COM id
> I posed this problem to the good folks on the users list.  While they are
great bunch, and several offered some suggestions, I was unable to get any
from them so I'm trying the dev list now.
> The problem in a nutshell is that requests I make to tomcat running on a
Solaris Sparc from a Windows client take at least 0.15 to 0.20 seconds.  If
run tomcat on a Linux PC, or use a Linux PC as a client instead of Windows,
turnaround time is more like 0.01 seconds.
> Here are the particulars:
> * All machines are on the same 100Mbit ethernet.
> * Tomcat is running standalone.
> * I tried a couple of different Sparcs, a 420R and an Ultra 5, neither
any load.  No difference.
> * I wrote a simple Java program to use as the test client so there are no
browsers involved.
> * I tried various different Java VM releases on the Sparcs, 1.2.1 and
with no difference seen.
> * I tried a couple different PCs (NT4 and Win2000) and found the same
> * Other programmers here reported slowness using VisualBasic as the client
instead of Java (that's how I got started investigating this).  Java Web
2.0 also appeared to have the same problem as tomcat.  I have not personally
been able to verify these assertions.
> * The results seem very repeatable.
> * I used a generic tomcat 3.2.1 for the server and hit the
examples/servlet/HelloWorldExample URL for these tests.
> This is a very serious problem for us.  The above mentioned VB client that
we're developing can make dozens of calls to the server per screen, so those
second delays add up.  I like Linux a lot myself but the bosses here feel
comfortable with more traditional business models, and besides shouldn't
run best on a Sparc with Solaris?  I am perplexed as to what the problem is
would greatly appreciate any help or ideas I can get.
> Thanks in advance,
> Douglas Hornig
> Dartmouth-Hitchcock Medical Center
> Lebanon, NH

 Arieh Markel                           Sun Microsystems Inc.
 Pray for snow !!!!                     Phone: (303) 272-8547 x78547
 (e-mail me with subject S
--- end of quote ---

View raw message