tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From "Remy Maucherat" <r...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Tomcat 4.0 Beta3 and Request Attributes Error
Date Wed, 02 May 2001 22:48:12 GMT
> On Wed, 2 May 2001, Ana wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> > We think we have discovered an error. We call the include method of the
> > RequestDispatcher from a servlet. Then,  we  call the setAttribute
method
> > of the request object  of the included JSP. If we call the getAttribute
> > method of the request object in the servlet (after the include call),
then
> > there is not attribute.
> >

> Yes, you definitely found an error.  The spec is silent on whether an
> included servlet can modify the request attributes of the request it
> receives, but it seems like an obviously useful thing that should be
> possible.
>
> I just checked in a patch to fix it, which will show up in tonight's
> nightly build (20010503).

Really ?
According to the spec (#8.3), I was under the impression that the included
servlet couldn't do anything but :
- Write data to either the Writer or the OutputStream
- Access (and I understood that as "read") the request object

So to be consistent with what is done with everything else, I wouldn't allow
the modification.

Perhaps we should ask the question to Danny ;-)

Remy