tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From cmanola...@yahoo.com
Subject Re: what is the deal with tomcat 4 and web server connectors??
Date Tue, 24 Apr 2001 17:50:31 GMT
Dan,

It seems the most requested ( and important) feature for mod_jk is simpler
configuration - and I think we can do many simple things with a lot of
effect ( sending the config automatically is one - and quite easy ).

Regarding the use of mod_jk for tomcat4 - I would sugest a different
aproach:

The connector is a mini ORB, optimized for HTTP-type requests. On the Java
side, tomcat3.3 does a lot of optimizations - most of them related with
object allocation and representation.

I think those pieces are very valuable - and instead of implementing the
AJP13 ( and future 14 ) it would be much better to extract the full
implementation and make it independent of tomcat3.3

That would allow to also build a tomcat3.2 adapter ( since most people are
using 3.2 right now - and changing a production site is a slow process
). Tomcat4 is supposed to be more flexible than 3.x :-) - so creating an
adapter should be easy ( well, I don't understand most of the 4.0 design,
but I was able to build a prototype adapter - and get ajp13 support into
4.0. Unfortunately my head exploded due to class loading problems - but it
can be done ).

So what I would do ( or I'll do :-) is start with a new package, taking
 MessageBytes, MimeHeaders, subset of Request/Response, add an adapter
interface ( tc3.1 used to have one - but it had a bad design - I can say
that since I did it ) using a notification model ( for example a
AdapterListener that will allow the adapter to plug to upper layers )

Then create interceptors/valves for 3.2, 3.3, 4.0 ( maybe:-) and plug it
in.

Of course, this is just an idea - there are many details to discuss ( and
other, better ideas - I'm sure of that :-).

Costin