tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From "Craig R. McClanahan" <craig...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Project NoN Functional (TOMCAT 4.x)
Date Mon, 23 Apr 2001 16:27:58 GMT

On Mon, 23 Apr 2001, Karthik wrote:

> Respected Sir
>
>   We the Group of S/w  People are into development of  Pure Intranet Java solutions for
Different  WEB Containers / RDBMS  on Different  Platform factors.
>  Untill Version of  TOMCAT 3.2 ,Our project Bundle worked with out any problems.
>  On release of 4.x Our group tends to move into latest version (from TOMCAT 3.2  to 4.X
),found sever problems with installation of our bundled S/w  package.
> Also TOMCAT 4.x refuses to serve the Client with non of the pages except for the LOG
on SCREEN.

First, this is a user problem and should be reported on the TOMCAT-USER
list.  The TOMCAT-DEV list is for discussions of the development of
Tomcat.

Second, the problem you are having is that you are trying to use a Vector
without including the following at the top of your page:

	<%@ page import="java.util.Vector" %>

The reason this works under Tomcat 3.2 is that Tomcat 3.2 violates
the JSP specification and creates implicit imports for a number of
packages (including java.util.*).  Tomcat 4.0 follows the spec, and only
imports the following:

	java.lang.*
	javax.servlet.*
	javax.servlet.jsp.*
	javax.servlet.http.*

For more information, see the JSP Specification, Section 2.7.1.1 (p. 45),
available at:

	http://java.sun.com/products/jsp/download.html

Craig McClanahan