tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From Dan Milstein <dan...@shore.net>
Subject Re: what is the deal with tomcat 4 and web server connectors??
Date Tue, 24 Apr 2001 17:15:39 GMT
Kevin,

One thing which I think would be useful (which I wanted to do myself, but
don't think I'll have time to do), would be to write an ajp13 connector for
TC 4.  This would allow TC 4 users to use mod_jk as their plugin (which
supports iPlanet and IIS).  If you are interested in doing some development,
I think that would be an excellent contribution.

Steps:

 - Take a look through the Ajp13 doc in the 3.3 branch (src/doc/AJPv13.html)
-- this explains how the protocol works.

 - Review the ajp13 connector code in 3.3
(share/org/apache/tomcat/modules/server/Ajp13.java and
Ajp13Interceptor.java).

 - Adapt that code to the TC 4 codebase (basing on HttpConnector, or
WarpConnector, possibly).

Wins: connect to multiple servers (including netscape and iis), load
balancing, debugged C code.

Losses: painful to configure

Although I don't have time to write this code myself, I can contribute some
help (I understand the 3.3 ajp13 code pretty thoroughly).

-Dan

--

Dan Milstein // danmil@shore.net