tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From "Anne Dirkse" <aldir...@uswest.net>
Subject Re: Solaris Sparc Performance Problem
Date Mon, 23 Apr 2001 23:18:34 GMT
Douglas --

I am experiencing the exact same set of problems, except that I'm just
beginning to experience them, so I haven't done any real testing to get
to the specifics of what is going on and the exact performance
difference that I am experiencing between Solaris and Linux, however,
there is a noticable slowness even with a single connected client.
   My setup is:
    * Solaris 8
    * All machines also on same 100MB Ethernet
    * Standalone Tomcat
    * Using our company's Sparc boxes (500Mhz Sparc) -- only have tried
these
    * No performance difference amongst browsers (IE5, Netscape 4.7)
    * Tried JDK 1.2.2 and 1.3, no difference
    * Patched Solaris as recommended for Java setup, no difference

The only other problem that I have been encountering which you
apparently have not is that occasionally Tomcat will stop responding
altogehter, and Java will dump core. I have not been able to narrow this
down to a specific cause, but I'm working on that.

I too would rather just head back to Linux, which I'm more comfortable
with anyhow, but since my company sells Sparc/Solaris based server
appliances they seem to like Solaris. :)

Please, if you get any great answers that aren't posted to tomcat-dev
would you share them with me? I'd be glad to do the same.

Good Luck!

"Douglas E. Hornig" wrote:

> I posed this problem to the good folks on the users list.  While they are a great bunch,
and several offered some suggestions, I was unable to get any help from them so I'm trying
the dev list now.

> The problem in a nutshell is that requests I make to tomcat running on a Solaris Sparc
from a Windows client take at least 0.15 to 0.20 seconds.  If I run tomcat on a Linux PC,
or use a Linux PC as a client instead of Windows, the turnaround time is more like 0.01 seconds.

> Here are the particulars:
>
> * All machines are on the same 100Mbit ethernet.
> * Tomcat is running standalone.
> * I tried a couple of different Sparcs, a 420R and an Ultra 5, neither with any load.
 No difference.
> * I wrote a simple Java program to use as the test client so there are no browsers involved.
> * I tried various different Java VM releases on the Sparcs, 1.2.1 and 1.3.0 with no difference
seen.
> * I tried a couple different PCs (NT4 and Win2000) and found the same results.
> * Other programmers here reported slowness using VisualBasic as the client instead of
Java (that's how I got started investigating this).  Java Web Server 2.0 also appeared to
have the same problem as tomcat.  I have not personally been able to verify these assertions.
> * The results seem very repeatable.
> * I used a generic tomcat 3.2.1 for the server and hit the examples/servlet/HelloWorldExample
URL for these tests.

> This is a very serious problem for us.  The above mentioned VB client that we're developing
can make dozens of calls to the server per screen, so those 0.2 second delays add up.  I like
Linux a lot myself but the bosses here feel more comfortable with more traditional business
models, and besides shouldn't Java run best on a Sparc with Solaris?  I am perplexed as to
what the problem is and would greatly appreciate any help or ideas I can get.