tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From GOMEZ Henri <hgo...@slib.fr>
Subject RE: what is the deal with tomcat 4 and web server connectors??
Date Tue, 24 Apr 2001 21:55:36 GMT
>I think those pieces are very valuable - and instead of
>implementing the
>AJP13 ( and future 14 ) it would be much better to extract the full
>implementation and make it independent of tomcat3.3

+1

>That would allow to also build a tomcat3.2 adapter ( since
>most people are
>using 3.2 right now - and changing a production site is a slow process
>).

It will give also to TC 3.2 users a more stable mod_jk and ajp12/ajp13.
Some fixes couldn't be include in mod_jk code for TC 3.2 and would be
here since 3.2.x serie will be updated only for easy bugs fixes, those
without any refactor.

For example, mod_jk in 3.3 fixe the problem when you restart Tomcat
and use ajp13. In mod_jk for 3.2, you'll need to restart Apache, no
more needed in 3.3.

And that's a mad situation since connectors code which is mainly
native code, could be common to Tomcat Servlet Engines (3.2/3.3).

> Tomcat4 is supposed to be more flexible than 3.x :-) - so
>creating an
>adapter should be easy ( well, I don't understand most of the
>4.0 design,
>but I was able to build a prototype adapter - and get ajp13
>support into
>4.0. Unfortunately my head exploded due to class loading
>problems - but it
>can be done ).
>
>So what I would do ( or I'll do :-) is start with a new package, taking
> MessageBytes, MimeHeaders, subset of Request/Response, add an adapter
>interface ( tc3.1 used to have one - but it had a bad design -
>I can say
>that since I did it ) using a notification model ( for example a
>AdapterListener that will allow the adapter to plug to upper layers )

+1

>Then create interceptors/valves for 3.2, 3.3, 4.0 ( maybe:-)
>and plug it in.

Yep, get the merge the great ideas of all Tomcat projects 3.2/3.3/4.0

>Of course, this is just an idea - there are many details to
>discuss ( and other, better ideas - I'm sure of that :-).

Discussion is open, and it's a good point