tomcat-dev mailing list archives

Site index · List index
Message view « Date » · « Thread »
Top « Date » · « Thread »
From "Edward MacGillivray" <...@etool.com>
Subject Re: Linux IBM JDK + Tomcat + SMP hangs
Date Fri, 23 Mar 2001 03:41:36 GMT
On Sun, 7 Jan 2001 22:42:18 -0500
"brien" <brienfwd@onebox.com> wrote:
> Hi,
> 
> I've been having a really tough time to say the least
> trying to get the
> IBM JDK 1.3 to work on an SMP machine under linux. I
> don't think my
> problem is unique. The JDK hangs, consuming 99% of the
> CPU.
> 
> >From what I can tell, this problem is specific to the
> IBM JDK 1.3 on SMP
> machines. I've read just about every message on the ibm
> linux java
> newsgroup, and the typical solution offered is always to
> install
> glibc 2.1.3-21. Without doing this I had instant hangs
> as soon as I ran
> tomcat. After updating glibc, the hangs take a little
> while to occur, but
> they are still present and persistent.
> 
> Unfortunately, I'm also bound to using DB2 on the
> database side, and
> IBM tech support has stated that they do not support
> sun's jdk.
> 
> If anyone can help me out I'd greatly appreciate it.
> 
> my environment is:
> dual p3/866 + 512mb (dell poweredge 2450)
> redhat linux 6.2
> kernel 2.2.16 SMP
> glibc-2.1.3-21
> apache tomcat 3.2.1 (also tried 3.1.1)
> 
> IBM JDK:
> java version "1.3.0"
> Java(TM) 2 Runtime Environment, Standard Edition (build
> 1.3.0)
> Classic VM (build 1.3.0, J2RE 1.3.0 IBM build
> cx130-20001124 (JIT enabled:
> jitc))
> 
> brien

Has anyone else had this problem? because it appears as
though I am having it too. I have search my archive of
Tomcat-User posts and the web for information on Tomcat
hanging under linux SMP. I found the above post but no
replies to it.

I have successfully installed the webapp I have to three
different single processor computers but the one I want it
on is multi proc and does not want to work. I have been
working with Tomcat 3.1 on all of the single proc boxes and
initially used 3.1 on the multi proc. The application was
able to function just as it had on the other boxes but
within a few minutes the application had hung and was not
responding to jsp or servlet requests. When the application
got to this state though the Tomcat program was unable to
stop itself, so I had to start killing processes.

I then figured that possibly it was 3.1 that had a problem,
so I went and got Tomcat 3.2.1. However, this was pretty
much a step backward, because with 3.2.1 the webapp is never
able to work. What's worse is that running the Tomcat
shutdown script, even immediately after running the startup
script, Tomcat is unable to stop itself.

I can't say that I have much experience with Tomcat 3.2.1,
however the mod_jk.log file indicates that it is finding a
worker and the web browser accessing the webapp spins until
apache times out. I am confident that Apache is configured
properly.

The box's environ is
3 * p-pro/200 + 256Mb
Redhat Linux 6.2, kernel 2.2.14smp
Apache 1.2.19
Tomcat 3.2.1 using mod_jk (also happens with 3.1 using
mod_jserv)
glibc 2.2.2

thanks
mac

Mime
View raw message