tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From "Craig R. McClanahan" <craig...@apache.org>
Subject Re: cvs commit: jakarta-tomcat-4.0/catalina/src/share/org/apache/naming/factory MailSessionFactory.java ResourceFactory.java
Date Sun, 25 Mar 2001 06:54:10 GMT

On Sat, 24 Mar 2001, Glenn Nielsen wrote:

> Craig,
>
> I have another version of a MailSessionFactory (I thought I had mentioned
> I would take care of it).  It is identical to what you just commited,
> with one exception.

Well, I must have missed your message about taking care of it (but it was
a good learning experience for me anyway).  Once we get the Commons
project up and running, the in-memory naming context stuff might be a good
candidate for a shareable component, and I wanted to understand a bit more
about how it worked first.

> It uses getInstance() instead of getDefaultInstance().  getDefaultInstance()
> creates just one instance of a Session for the entire JVM which would be global
> to all web applications.  With getInstance() you can configure different SMTP settings
> per web application.

That sounds like a *much* better idea.  Go ahead and switch this this to
getInstance() if you want.

> I also have an updated version of the Factory which creates a MimePartDataSource
> which allows more generic configuration of SMTP settings like you did below.

It seems like a pretty good design pattern when the underlying factory
accepts an arbitrary set of properties.

> Regards,
>
> Glenn

Craig