tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From "T. Park" <tp...@borland.com>
Subject Re: How do I use a non-apache naming service with tomcat 4?
Date Mon, 26 Mar 2001 21:53:47 GMT
As best as I can determine - the rule it's executing is the one that handles the

I'm attaching a couple of files - the first is my server.xml that I've
configured - the only thing I added was :

     <InstanceListener>
       com.here.is.my.InstanceListener
     </InstanceListener>

to the examples context.

The second [file] is output from catalina.bat

When I add the jar file with the InstanceListener to tomcat the code loads and
runs - all is well - apart from there being no jndi support ;-)

However, when I enable the jndi client code in the InstanceListener, I then have
to add a jar that contains my jndi stuff
(I called it zz_asrt.jar so that it would appear at the 'end' of the classpath)
then it all goes to hell in a handbasket.

I can't see any explicit calls to createNamingContext - especially not in the
XML or xml mapper code.

I suspect that when the StandardContext object get's loaded the 'introspective'
part of java has a sniff around the StandardContext 'signature' and takes
an immediate dislike to what it finds in there - very strange - I need to learn
more about how Java loads classes.

Is there anyway I can tell for sure that the naming stuff is not loaded - I did
notice from the log file that the naming.jar is still loaded by
the bootstrap code, even if I specifiy -nonaming -or- -Dcatalina.useNaming=false
in command line.

One other question - does tomcat 4 mandate the use of JDK 1.3? (Probably so for
Servlet 2.3 huh?)
I wonder if this could be something to do with it as my naming stuff was
compiled under 1.2.2

I'm also going to pare down that zz_asrt.jar there's a *lot* of stuff in there,
as well as jndi and ejb stuff - there's even an XML parser but
I would have thought it wouldn't be getting in the way as it's way down the end
of the class path.

-Thom
Attachements:

1. server.xml