tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From Dan Milstein <dan...@shore.net>
Subject Re: [VOTE] New Committer: Amy Roh
Date Tue, 13 Mar 2001 21:57:12 GMT

> >Sounds good -- I looked through the archives and found the
> >messages which I had missed.
> >Thanks for clearing that up -- I'll happily
> >convert to +0 (I still don't feel like I've seen enough of
> >her changes myself  to vote +1, but
> >it looks like plenty of other people have, which is great).
>
> I'll be +1 if Amy contribute to ALL TOMCAT current projects :
>
> ie : Tomcat 3.1, 3.2, 3.3 and 4.0

I strongly disagree -- if Amy is going to focus on 4.x, I think that's
absolutely fine.  We don't need every developer to work on all three
branches -- we need enough developers committed to supporting each branch
we're serious about releasing and maintaining.  Adding someone who is going
to focus on 4.x in no way impedes our support for 3.2/3.3.  That is why the
clear vote about who was going to work to support 3.3 was so useful -- some
people are focusing on 3.3, some people are not.  That's fine.

I have not yet done much (read: any) work on 4.x.  Does this mean that I am
not fully contributing to the Tomcat project?  I don't think so -- some of
the project's programmers are currently working on pushing 3.3 towards
release, some are working towards getting 3.2.2 out (go Marc!), and some are
working on 4.x.  There is some overlap, but I do not think it is important
that everyone work on every branch.

Please, please, please, let's not get into another debate about 3.x vs 4.x
-- I am really enjoying this list being useful again, and not clogged with
flame wars.

-Dan

--

Dan Milstein // danmil@shore.net