tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From "Craig R. McClanahan" <>
Subject Re: Tomcat 4 unpacking of WAR files behavior
Date Fri, 02 Mar 2001 19:02:09 GMT
Remy Maucherat wrote:

> > Remy,
> >
> > What I am trying to do is start a discussion of _what_ the behaviour
> should be,
> > so it can be fixed. I already consider the current behaviour to be broken.
> I'm mixed on the subject. Craig implemented it that way, so I want to hear
> his opinion on the subject.

The original rationale for the current behavior was/is a very common
user error
with Tomcat 3.x -- it goes like this:
* User drops a WAR file into "webapps" and restarts Tomcat
* Tomcat auto-expands the WAR and runs fine
* User updates the app, drops in an updated WAR, and restarts Tomcat
* Tomcat sees the expanded directory, and does NOT auto-expand
* User files a bug report "Tomcat does not reload my updated classes"

I'm open to suggestion for different behavior, but keep this scenario in

> > For example deploying a war on starutp, then undeploying it on shutdown
> > adds unnecessary overhead to the tomcat start/stop processing.  This would
> > be a huge issue in a hosting environment where you might have 100's of war
> > files.
> Yes sure. I think the best would be not to unpack the WARs (it's a lot
> cleaner).

+1, as long as we can keep performance reasonable.

> Remy

View raw message