tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From Steve Downey <steve.dow...@netfolio.com>
Subject RE: 3.3 build tree
Date Thu, 01 Feb 2001 22:07:50 GMT
Most GNU projects work the same way. For example GCC. Typical fs layout is
something like:
gcc
	gcc-2.95.2
	bld-gcc-2.95.2

then, from in the bld-gcc-2.95.2, you run ../gcc-2.95.2/configure, and the
build environment is created, while the source environment remains pristine.
This is imperative if you're building for several environments out of the
same source tree. In which case you might have
gcc
	gcc-2.95.2
	bld-gcc-2.95.2-i686-linux
	bld-gcc-2.95.2-i386-linux
	bld-gcc-2.95.2-sparc-solaris6
	bld-gcc-2.95.2-sparc-solaris8
	bld-gcc-2.95.2-cygwin-cross-linux

-----Original Message-----
From: cmanolache@yahoo.com [mailto:cmanolache@yahoo.com]
Sent: Thursday, February 01, 2001 5:08 PM
To: tomcat-dev@jakarta.apache.org
Subject: Re: 3.3 build tree

> I see what you are saying, that a "make install" usually creates the files
> in etc or opt rather and not in the source directory. I guess I look at
> "build" as more equivalent to "make", because I ususally just copy the
> resulting directory structure from build to the production location
> manually.

Take a look at any RedHat ( or any similar, RPM-based linux system):
/usr/src/redhat/SOURCES/my-package
/usr/src/redhat/BUILD/my-package

Not that RedHat is doing it the "right" way - it's just a valid way to do
things that keeps the source clean.

> While the proposed new solution may not completely be the *nix standard,
> it is, IMHO, a little better than the current method inasmuch as it is not
> recursing up the directory structure. That has always struck me as a
> little unsafe for reasons that i, admittedly, cannot fully quantify (just
> a feeling). My opinion would be that the new structure be the default. I

I can say the same about building in the source directory... It just feels
wrong and ugly ( kind of like having .class and .java in the same
directory, instead of using javac -d ).

> know that there are enough scripts in place that it would be a subtle pain
> for some, but there always seems to be something to change between
> releases anyway :-)

I would rather change java code...

--
Costin