tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From Pier Fumagalli <p...@betaversion.org>
Subject Re: signals with JNI
Date Wed, 07 Feb 2001 04:37:35 GMT
Daniel Diaz <Daniel.Diaz@inria.fr> wrote:

> Another strange problem occurs if you replace this line by
> system("uname -a");
>
> after executing system() the JVM loading is blocked (in a sigsuspend I think).
>
> Could you help me on this please ?

Hehehe :) You're going down hard-core on the VM :)

Well, I don't think you'll be actually able to TRAP a SEGV signal, I mean,
that signal means "segment violation" and it's the worst thing you can
possibly try to debug...

What I think is happening is that the VM itself (for debugging purposes, I
believe with the Debugging Native Interface), tries to set a handler to
SIGSEGV itself, and if it has already been set, it will just panic...

Aka, all it means is "don't mess around too much with that" :)

I don't know, though! I should have to go and look into the Hotspot
sources...

So far the same code you wrote works with SIGHUP, SIGKILL and SIGUSR?...

    Pier

--
Pier Fumagalli                                 <mailto:pier@betaversion.org>