tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From Adalbert Wysocki <wa...@imediation.com>
Subject charset used for parameters decoding on HTTP request Tomcat3.x,4
Date Mon, 12 Feb 2001 18:00:14 GMT
Hi all,

I would like to know the policy for the request's parameters decoding in
Tomcat 3.x.
In Servlet 2.3 specifications a new method on the HttpServletRequest object
was added in order to be able to specify the request's parameters charset
encoding. This charset is used futhermore while the parameters parsing. This
method is implemented in Tomcat 4.
What is about Tomakat 3.2 implementing the servlet 2.2 specifications where
the charset for parameters' decoding cannot be specified and considering
that browsers never send the form encoding charset in th erequests' headers.
In the case pages generated by my servlet run with Tomcat 3.2 are UTF-8
encoded, and requests for theses pages contain UTF-8 encoded parameters, how
can I specify to the servlet engine running my servlet to decode parameters
from UTF-8 and not using the default plateform encoding (8859-J, Shift_JIS
(for japan plateforms)...).

These are my questions:
-----------------------

  - is Tomcat 3.2 supports double byte encoded parameters (I sew that
parameters are parsed with javax.servlet.http.HttpUtils that does not
support double byte encoded parameters)
  - if it is possible, how to do it.

NB: A solution would be to overwrite the system property "file.encoding" on
the command line. But on exotic platforms (such as Korean), overwriting the
property "file.encoding" on the command line while the servlet engine
starting is not taken under consideration while the default
characters-bytes/bytes-characters converters instantiation (this behavior is
listed in Sun's bugs list but is not considered as a bug). In these cases
the default plateform encoding is used.

Adalbert

Adalbert Wysocki, software engineer
<mailto:awysocki@imediation.com>