tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From Arieh Markel <Arieh.Mar...@central.sun.com>
Subject Re: Clarification on Catalina TODO item: CGI emulation servlet
Date Tue, 20 Feb 2001 18:15:30 GMT

> list-help: <mailto:tomcat-dev-help@jakarta.apache.org>
> list-post: <mailto:tomcat-dev@jakarta.apache.org>
> From: Martin T Dengler <root@xades.com>
> To: tomcat-dev@jakarta.apache.org
> Subject: Re: Clarification on Catalina TODO item: CGI emulation servlet
>
> Craig R. McClanahan wrote:
>
> > That was exactly the original thinking -- create a servlet that would be
able
> > to execute external applications in conformance with the CGI spec
requirements
> > (principally related to environment variables, and connecting standard input
> > and output of the application program to the request and response streams
> > appropriately.
>
> Excellent.  I suppose the right thing to do now is propose a design to
> this list with specification references for review.  If that is too
> heavyweight I can just run the code by somebody (you, Craig?) after
> testing on my own Catalina build.
>
> > Having this functionality implemented as a servlet means that you can map it
> > a directory path ("/cgi-bin/*") and/or a filename extension ("*.cgi"), in
the
> > same way that you would do so in a web server.  Or, in a security conscious
> > environment, you could just remove the mappings to make CGI service
> > unavailable.
>
> Exactly, and I suppose the directory path w/could obviously be web
> app-specific, giving the normal encapsulation benefits.
> Would there be any scope for extra web-app-related information being
> available in the spawned-process' environment, so it (the CGI) could
> figure out the context path, etc.?

I am wondering if this will result on creating cgi-emulation
servlets that result in being platform-specific (initially, because of
the need of adapting differently to the manner in which the host's
environment variables need to be set, establishment of PATH,
probably there is more), or operate in a platform-specific manner.

(I am not aware of a Java API that allows to modify the external - host -
environment).

Arieh