tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From Michael Mealling <mich...@bailey.dscga.com>
Subject Re: serializing XML to a ServletOutputStream fails
Date Mon, 05 Feb 2001 10:54:50 GMT
On Mon, Feb 05, 2001 at 11:24:55AM +0100, Zhu Ming wrote:
> Maybe you should not use character set "UTF-8". I remember
> that it's 8-bit Unicode. As I know, Chinese and Korean has
> 16-bit code. So at least, you should try 16-bit Unicode.
> I forgot the name, maybe it's "UTF-16". But I'm not sure if
> JDK have fully support to "UTF-16".

UTF-8 is an encoding that allows the multibyte (16 and higher)
Unicode code points to be encoded in 8 bits, not limited to 8 bits.
If a byte has its high order bit set then you know that the next
few bytes are also part of that particular code-point. So UTF-8
also handles the entire Unicode set. XML itself defaults to UTF-8
so its something that _should_ work 'out of the box'...

-MM

P.S. I've also posted this problem to HotDispatch so if you
can help me solve the problem you could get $50... ;-)

Michael Mealling	|      Vote Libertarian!       | www.rwhois.net/michael
Sr. Research Engineer   |   www.ga.lp.org/gwinnett     | ICQ#:         14198821
Network Solutions	|          www.lp.org          |  michaelm@netsol.com