tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From cmanola...@yahoo.com
Subject RE: Session Serialize code
Date Mon, 01 Jan 2001 21:41:07 GMT
Hi, Shai,

Thanks for the feedback - now that the refactoring is almost completed,
testing the extension mechanisms and fixing errors is the most
important thing for 3.3.

> I don't want to nudge too much, but I'm wondering what's going on with this.
> Correct me if I'm wrong, but the last (GREAT !!) patches you have sent does
> not implement read/write object to session object.

I tried to make sure the core has all the support and can handle this -
and I think now it does.

We still use ObjectSerializer to change the class loader on reload, and
the HttpSession events are now handled in Servlet22Interceptor.

Read/Write is not implemented - but I think it can be done in a module, so
it's something that can be done at any time ( after 3.3 or whatever is
released ). BTW, there are many other session-related improvements that
can/should be done ( performance, scalability ) - but again, it'll be just
an add-on, independent module.

> M I right?

Yes.

> Another issue is 'why making SimpleSessionStore final?'. I'm working on
> implementing Serializable session store. Till latest patch there
> SimpleSessionStore was different module than ServerManager, and I was able
> to extend it. Now, I can't reuse that code and extend it without copy/paste
> it (which not seems to me the right way to 'reuse' code).

Sorry about this - my mistake. There is one reason to not extend
SimpleSessionStore and ServletManager ( now SimpleManager ) - the code has
not been refactored and cleaned up ( it's a module - the focus so far has
been on the core, modules can be done later and in an independent way,
without politics and fights ).

If you want, it might be a good idea to try to start a new
(cleaner) module to replace the current SimpleSessionStore. You can use
some of the code in SimpleSessStore. This would also test the current
mechanisms and hooks.

Costin