tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From Brian Behlendorf <br...@collab.net>
Subject Re: Clarification of PMC emails
Date Fri, 19 Jan 2001 18:16:41 GMT
On Thu, 18 Jan 2001, Jon Stevens wrote:
> Part of the agreement of the meeting is that non-has-to-be-private PMC mail
> will be posted to the General@jakarta list in order to quell the belief that
> the PMC is acting in secret. "non-has-to-be-private" email is described as
> email for which a NDA does not need to be respected.

While the spirit is definitely that anything that doesn't absolutely have
to be kept private does get discussed on general@jakarta. your definition
above isn't accurate.  There are some situations where an NDA isn't
involved, such as a personal issue between developers requiring some
delicacy and mediation, a legal issue involving, say, a patent claim,
or a security hole someone finds and wants to see fixed before they
release their advisory.  I'm not saying that all situations matching any
of the above should always be discussed on the PMC - I am saying that
sometimes the nature of the issue will require private PMC discussion.

	Brian