tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From "Aaron Knauf" <Aar...@geniesystems.com>
Subject Re: Authorization on Linux
Date Wed, 03 Jan 2001 00:19:13 GMT
I would go one further and advise against using the system user accounts
for web user authentication.  Even if you are using SSL to encrypt
traffic, it is easy to brute force a web password because the web server
typically allows unlimited retries without locking the account, or
delaying and in some configurations may not even log the attempts.

Another advantage to using an alternative user accounts database is that
you don't have to give every web user access to all of the other
facilities on your web server.  (If the user account doesn't exist, no-one
can log in with it.)

Apache provides modules for authenticating against all sorts of other user
accounts.  Perhaps you could try to hook in to one of these.

Aaron Knauf
Implementation Consultant
Genie Systems Ltd
Auckland, New Zealand