tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From Remy Maucherat <r...@betaversion.org>
Subject Re: Interceptors
Date Fri, 19 Jan 2001 22:10:16 GMT
Quoting "Craig R. McClanahan" <Craig.McClanahan@eng.sun.com>:

> You would still need to wrap the response, for example, if your Valve
> wanted to
> modify the data content of the response (such as applying compression,
> or an XSLT
> transformation).

Ok.

BTW, I think compression should be part of the HTTP connector. Every modern
browser out there sends accept-encoding headers with the appropriate value :
- IE 5 sends : gzip, deflate
- Mozilla sends : gzip,deflate,compress,identity
- Netscape 4.7 sends : gzip
So roughly 95% of the requests will be wrapped by a compression valve. I also
think that compression should be considered basic functionality.

> However, you should choose to implement functionality
> like this
> as a Filter if you can, for maximum portability, and reserve Valve
> implementations for implementing internal-to-Tomcat functionality.

Makes a lot of sense.

Remy