tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From Ceki Gulcu <...@urbanet.ch>
Subject RE: Rollover for each day ? Is this possible ??
Date Fri, 19 Jan 2001 11:24:40 GMT

Jim,

Ooops! I got a DateRollingAppender from you too? Eirik Lygre has also sent
me one. Roberto Leong has too. Their contributions are attached.
Jim, can you please repost your contribution on this list? I seem to have
lost it. Sorry, I haven't been handling this item particularly well.

What I would like to see is the following:

0) Keep in mind that log4j is not in the quickie business. Much of the
success of the package can be attributed to solving problems well, not just
solving them.

1) The new appender should have flexible way of expressing the rollover
frequency, perhaps in the same format as in the Unix crontabs file which I
belive is also a Posix standard. I am not aware of any library that
supports this. JDring (http://webtools.dyade.fr/jdring/) seems to have most
of the functionality needed except parsing the crontab format. Anyone know
anything better?

As a side note, the omission of a crontab/at functionality in Java core
libraries seems like a major oversight. Try buying stock a day later then
what the customer ordered. See how many customers stay with your brokerage
house.  :-)

2) The new appender should not add any significant overhead to the append
method. If appending to a file takes 100 microseconds in a particular
environment it should still take 100 microseconds with the new appender.

There are several possible designs. The first one is to check for the
rollover condition at each append. This is what Eirik Lygre has done. The
second one is to schedule a thread that will initiate the rollover after
the appropriate delay. This is what Roberto Leong has proposed.

The second approach seems more sound to me. One could generalize it by
using a single timer  thread (as in JDring) to manage multiple time based
RollingAppenders. Your opinion/comments are welcome. Ceki

ps: I am forwarding this to the Avalon list since they are writing a
general purpose framework.
ps: I wonder how Tomcat addresses the issue.