tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From "Craig R. McClanahan" <Craig.McClana...@eng.sun.com>
Subject Re: Catalina + Apache
Date Fri, 19 Jan 2001 19:10:12 GMT
Nick Bauman wrote:

> On Fri, 19 Jan 2001, Craig R. McClanahan wrote:
>
> > Nick Bauman wrote:
> >
> > > Uhhh, I just realized something
> > >
> > > With TC 3x, you could map an extension from Apache to the servlet engine
> > > with an AddHandler directive. I see nothing like this for TC4. Can someone
> > > enlighten me?
> > >

> > The design goals for mod_webapp say that it should respect web.xml mappings --
> > in other words, if you added a <servlet-mapping> entry for "*.foo" to a
> > particular servlet, then that is what would happen at runtime.
>
> I totally do not understand this! I'm dense or something: How does Apache
> / DSO* know about something in the web.xml?

This is the key architectural difference between mod_webapp and the current generation
of connectors.  When mod_webapp establishes its initial connection from Apache to
Tomcat, the configuration information (extracted from the property getters of the
internal Context object) is sent back to the connector in order to configure
everything about this particular webapp.