tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From "Craig R. McClanahan" <>
Subject Re: Interceptors
Date Fri, 19 Jan 2001 17:38:33 GMT
Jon Stevens wrote:

> on 1/18/01 4:28 PM, "Craig R. McClanahan" <>
> wrote:
> > If you change the names and parameter orders a little, you have just quoted
> > the
> > new api for javax.servlet.Filter in the 2.3 Proposed Final Draft.
> >
> > I'd be game to change the Valve APIs to conform to this kind of pattern in a
> > 4.1
> > timeframe, if people prefer it.  If we're ever going to do this, earlier is
> > better
> > (before too many valves that have to be changed get created).
> I'm almost thinking that this should be done for 4.0 because 4.0 is going to
> be implementing the 2.3 spec and having two different filtering mechanism's
> doing essentially the same thing doesn't make much sense to me...

I can sympathize with that concern -- I really really don't want to go changing
fundamental APIs in dot releases the way that 3.x has.

> Note, I'm not volunteering to scratch this itch...I'm just giving an
> opinion.

Thanks a bunch :-)

> Craig, can you make a statement about how hard/timeframe it would be to make
> the two different filtering mechanism's match up?

Effort requirements are probably 4-6 hours for development and execution for
changing the implementation plus all the existing valves.  Impact on the overall
4.0 release cycle is more problematic -- I think we would want to do this in a new
beta round and add a week of intensive testing to make sure nothing got

Let me work up a specific proposal (with impact estimates) and I propose it later
today.  There will also be a different proposal (based on input from Glenn) for a
"facade" layer that will make it easier to do the security manager stuff -- I
would want to do both sets of changes together if we're going to do them.

> thanks,
> -jon

View raw message