tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From Dave Harms <j...@clarionmag.com>
Subject custom tag life cycle question - are custom tags expensive?
Date Fri, 01 Dec 2000 12:21:43 GMT
I posted this in tomcat-user and didn't get any bites, so I'm trying
here.

I notice that section 5.4.7 of the JSP 1.1 spec states that "at
execution time the implementation of a JSP will use an available Tag
instance with the appropriate prefix and name that is not being used,
initialize it, and then follow the protocol described below.
Afterwards, it will release the instance and make it available for
further use."

When I look at my generated JSP code I see new instances of my custom
tags created on each call to _jspService. This seems to be in
contravention of the spec which implies a tag instance pool. It would
also suggest that some care needs to be taken to make custom tags as
lightweight as possible in the current implementation.

Thoughts?

Dave

Dave Harms
jdev@clarionmag.com