tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From Stuart Roebuck <stuart.roeb...@adolos.co.uk>
Subject Re: [tomcat-4.0] building is hard
Date Thu, 14 Dec 2000 16:41:58 GMT

On Thursday, December 14, 2000, at 09:44 AM, Pier P. Fumagalli wrote:

> Stuart Roebuck <stuart.roebuck@adolos.co.uk> wrote:
>
> > My preference would be to simply include the distributable jar files of
> > required libraries in a lib/ or similar directory inside the tomcat directory.
> > Those libraries that are distributable could be included in the CVS but
> > optionally excluded from the nightly builds and distributions (to reduce file
> > size).  Users would be asked to place the relevant .jar files of
> > non-distributable libraries in the same place.  This is basically the model
> > for cocoon - which is *way* simpler to build than tomcat.  This also makes
> > life a lot easier when moves are made to use newer versions of libraries for
> > Tomcat, because they can simply be updated in the CVS (if they are
> > distributable).
>
> Someone (me! :) proposed to do as they do in XML land with the Xerces
> project. They distribute a simple "xerces-tools..." JAR containing all
> libraries required for the build. What do you think? Would it be a good idea
> to do the same for Tomcat? I'd rather not check in JARs in the CVS, but I
> believe that a single big zip with all libraries would be great...

That seems okay to me.

Having said that -

o  European, pay for your online connection time, contributers may prefer not having to download
all the JARS when only one has been updated;  and

o  Putting the JARs into CVS means you can still benefit from version control and recreate
previous versions that used earlier libraries.

But either solution would make life a whole lot easier for newbies.

Stuart.

Lead Developer                                  Mac OS X, Java, XML, etc.