tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From Miles Sabin <MSa...@interx.com>
Subject RE: WML Generation from JSP broken!!!!
Date Thu, 14 Dec 2000 15:09:48 GMT
Nathan Abramson wrote,
> I don't think it should be done through a server's MIME type
> mapping - that means that someone writing a web app needs to
> know about the mappings installed on the target server, which
> makes the web app less portable.

Hmm ... not convinced.

I'd have thought that configuring MIME types essential for the
operation of a JSP engine would be an basic part of the
installation of said engine. If that can't be done there's a
problem with the install mechanism, or the host server (or its
administrator).

> Another approach is to declare each document's type in the
> web.xml, or to declare categorization rules in web.xml (e.g.,
> XMLJSP == *.[jspx|jsx]), but that seems much clumsier to me.

Well, this is as near as makes no difference to specifying a MIME
mapping in web.xml.

> Is there anything wrong with going by extension?  I'll bet
> that's what a lot of tools are starting to do anyway, so we
> might as well standardize it...

File extensions aren't more portable than MIME types, quite the
reverse ... ie. some platforms don't use them at all (albeit a
very small minority of those platforms which which are Servlet/JSP
capable). And even where they are used there are issues with case-
sensitivity (ie. .JSP in the file system might be equivalent to
.jsp on one platform but not on another).

Cheers,

Miles

--
Miles Sabin                               InterX
Internet Systems Architect                5/6 Glenthorne Mews