tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From Jon Stevens <...@latchkey.com>
Subject Re: Session Serialize code
Date Sat, 30 Dec 2000 02:35:21 GMT
on 12/29/2000 2:38 PM, "Kief Morris" <kief@bitbull.com> wrote:

> I can see this being used for fault tolerance. If your servlet engine crashes,
> or if you have to restart it for some reasons, your users' sessions don't need
> to be lost.

If the server crashes, then you are screwed either way.

If you are live, then serializing/deserializing the sessions for each and
every request could be a major slowdown (even with this code). This is why
there still isn't a good session server available. :-)

> Sounds like this is a good candidate for a separate Store class (for Catalina
> at least).

Actually, it is more of a utility class for your own objects that you are
placing into the Session.

-jon