tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From Stefán F. Stefánsson <stef...@snote.decode.is>
Subject RE: 3.x submitters [was RE: [MY_OPINION] Tomcat 3.x]
Date Wed, 20 Dec 2000 09:56:41 GMT
Hi Marc.

First I wanted to start off by wishing you the best of luck as a
committer.  I'm very happy to see you take the time to volunteer for
3.x.

I just have a little question about section 2.  There you say that
"EmbededTomcat doesn't work at all".  What do you mean?  I'm using it in
a product here (which is not out yet so we don't have any credits
anywhere, Jon... I'll make sure that's fixed ASAP though) and it works
fine... It took a lot of effort though... one of which is to play around
with policy files.  I agree that it needs cleaning up and more/better
documentation but I wouldn't go as far as to say that it doesn't work.

Could I take a look at your EmbededTomcat class?  What I'm mostly
worried about are the addCustomEndpoint additions I made to the class,
you're not gonna take those out are you.... *shiver* ;o)

Kind regards and thanks again!
	Stefan Freyr

-----Original Message-----
From: Marc Saegesser [mailto:marc.saegesser@apropos.com]
Sent: 19. desember 2000 17:05
To: tomcat-dev@jakarta.apache.org
Subject: 3.x submitters [was RE: [MY_OPINION] Tomcat 3.x]

Craig,

I'm willing to volunteer my time and effort to help out with maintenance
of
3.x.  We are embedding Tomcat 3.2.x into our product so I have a vested
interest in making sure that the 3.2.x product is stable and robust.

I've submitted a few patches in the last month or so (and gotten a
couple
accepted and committed).  I've also been actively trying to help people
on
TOMCAT-USER with problems related to IIS integration and the
isapi_redirector as these are the areas that I've focused on most.
There are currently a few items left in 3.2.x that I'd like to address:

1)  The long delay required to initialize SecureRandom causes the first
access to a web app to take a significant amount of time.  I posted a
patch
to address this but I admit that it touches a few more classes then I
would
have liked.  If anyone has other ideas or comments I'd like to hear
them.
2)  The EmbededTomcat class doesn't work at all.  I used it as an
example to
develop my own and I'd like to merge those changes back into the Tomcat
source.
3)  The isapi_redirect.dll is very brittle.  Very small and (based on
the
questions posted to TOMCAT-USER) very common configuration mistakes
cause
failures that are difficult to diagnose.

At some point I want to look into Tomcat 4.x, but for the near future my
focus must be on the 3.2.x product.  If I can help maintain this release
free up other developer's time for 4.x please let me know.