tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From Rickard Öberg <>
Subject Jasper tag class usage: bug?
Date Wed, 13 Dec 2000 09:01:26 GMT

I'm trying to optimize my tag library, especially for the case where
tags are used inside of iterating tags.

  <x:dostuff foo="bar"/>
In the above case I want only one instance of the dostuff tag to be
created, since I am doing things with the foo attribute whose value
never changes (i.e. I compute things once in dostuff.setFoo() and want
to skip it for all other iterations).

According to the JSP spec this should work great. However, when I look
in the generated JSP code (Tomcat 3.2 BTW), the dostuff tag is
instantiated for each iteration! This means that I cannot do the above
optimization. This adds a significant (and unnecessary) performance

Are there any plans to fix this?

Is this fixed in Tomcat 4.0? (I tried to check this, but it seems Tomcat
4.0 cannot handle tags in JAR's so I never got any generated JSP

I would be VERY happy if this was fixed! If this is indeed a bug, and
not yet covered, let me know and I'll add it to BugZilla.

Rickard Öberg

View raw message