tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From Hans Bergsten <h...@gefionsoftware.com>
Subject Re: cvs commit: jakarta-tomcat-4.0/jasper/src/share/org/apache/jasper/compiler BeanGenerator.java JspParseEventListener.java ParserXJspSaxHandler.java
Date Sun, 10 Dec 2000 06:52:16 GMT
Pierre Delisle wrote:

> Hans Bergsten wrote:
> >
> > pierred@locus.apache.org wrote:
> > >
> > > pierred     00/12/09 21:56:44
> > >
> > >   Modified:    jasper/src/share/org/apache/jasper Constants.java
> > >                jasper/src/share/org/apache/jasper/compiler
> > >                         BeanGenerator.java JspParseEventListener.java
> > >                         ParserXJspSaxHandler.java
> > >   Log:
> > >   Take 2 on the default list of imports for JSP generated classes.
> > >   Removed java.io.IOException, java.beans.Beans, and org.apache.jasper.Exception.
> > >   All that's left is org.apache.jasper.runtime.*.
> > >   That will be in take 3 (eventually :-))
> > >   [Thanks to Craig for "waking me up" on this...]
> >
> > Sorry, but I don't see what difference this change make. You're not
> > removing dependencies, just removing imports and replacing them with
> > FQCNs in the code. Why?
>
> Agree. Does not make a difference besides having a shorter import list.
> [Craig had made a comment about "java.Beans.*", but in fact I was only
> importing java.beans.Beans.]
>
> Might be better to leave those in the import list to make the
> dependency clear. What do you think?

In general, I prefer imports for the reason you mention; it makes it easier
to see all dependencies. In generated JSP compilation classes, the important
thing is not to have other complete package imports than the ones in the
spec, but FQCN imports can't hurt anything. So, yeah, I think it's better
to keep imports like java.beans.Beans and org.apache.jasper.Exception.

Hans
--
Hans Bergsten		hans@gefionsoftware.com
Author of JavaServer Pages (O'Reilly), http://TheJSPBook.com