tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From "Craig R. McClanahan" <Craig.McClana...@eng.sun.com>
Subject Re: [PROPOSAL] JSSI for Tomcat
Date Sun, 10 Dec 2000 03:41:13 GMT
Jon Stevens wrote:

> on 12/9/2000 6:21 PM, "Craig R. McClanahan" <Craig.McClanahan@eng.sun.com>
> wrote:
>
> > If it is Tomcat-specific, is there any reason it really needs to be a separate
> > Jakarta project at all?  Why not just absorb it into Tomcat?
>
> Problem with that in my eyes is that Tomcat is supposed to be the reference
> implementation of the Servlet and JSP spec's, not of SSI.

Except that Tomcat already has "outside the spec" features up the kazoo,
including
your favorite (saving session state across server restarts :-).  Even something
mundane like serving static files or the invoker servlet is not part of the
specification.  What's the big deal about one more feature?

> -jon

Craig