tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From "Craig R. McClanahan" <Craig.McClana...@eng.sun.com>
Subject Re: Tomcat 3.2 - Default web.xml not being read
Date Mon, 04 Dec 2000 18:22:59 GMT
"Osmundsen, Helge" wrote:

> We have been running tomcat 3.1 for a while, and just downloaded 3.2 final
> to our test Unix server.  We have our servlets defined in the home +
> "/conf/web.xml" file.  This has not changed.  3.1 still works fine.  3.2
> does not load the servlets in the default context, and does not load the
> default web.xml file.  I turned debugging to level "30".
>
> I added one to the servlets to the home + "/webapps/examples/web.xml", and
> the servlet now loads (it shows in the displays + I can access) , but only
> under the "examples" container (or directory).  Is there something different
> I need to do to have the default web.xml file to be read/processed?

For Tomcat 3.2, you would have to modify the code.  I didn't catch the change
early enough in the release cycle, and I judged it too risky to change this back
in 3.2 final, because I did not know what other changes might have also been
made that depended on this.

Note:  Tomcat 4.0 restores the usage of the global configuration file
"conf/web.xml", operating the way that 3.1 did.

> Thanks,
> Helge Osmundsen

Craig McClanahan