tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From Nathan Abramson <ari...@atg.com>
Subject RE: WML Generation from JSP broken!!!!
Date Thu, 14 Dec 2000 14:32:54 GMT
I don't think it should be done through a server's MIME type mapping -
that means that someone writing a web app needs to know about the
mappings installed on the target server, which makes the web app less
portable.

I thought I remember there being similar discussions previously about
how the "types" of various documents need to somehow be declared or
communicated.  There appear to be at least these four:

  * what is a JSP page? (proposal - ends with .jsp?)
  * what is a JSP fragment? (proposal - ends with .jspf?)
  * what is an XML JSP page? (proposal - ends with .jspx?)
  * what is an XML JSP fragment? (proposal - ends with .jspxf?)

The container (or other tools) will need to be able to distinguish
between these for the following situations:

  * it may need to look at every file in the web app and categorize
    them according to type.  For example, a tool that preprocesses
    JSP's into Servlet will need to know what files are actually
    JSP's.

  * when presented with a request, the container needs to know if the
    request is for a JSP page or an XML JSP page.  It should also know
    not to serve fragments.

It is important that we come up with a standard way of categorizing
web app documents into the above types.  Examining the contents of the
document is, in my opinion, an awful solution.  Having standard
extensions seems far better.  Another approach is to declare each
document's type in the web.xml, or to declare categorization rules in
web.xml (e.g., XMLJSP == *.[jspx|jsx]), but that seems much clumsier
to me.

Is there anything wrong with going by extension?  I'll bet that's what
a lot of tools are starting to do anyway, so we might as well
standardize it...

nathan