tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From "Rob S." <rsli...@home.com>
Subject RE: BugRat Bug Report #361
Date Thu, 09 Nov 2000 04:01:19 GMT
> I do not anticipate that this will be changed any time soon in 3.2.  For
> 4.0, one of the main reasons that the web connector isn't available yet
> is that it will be fully cognizant of the configuration settings in
> web.xml, without having to configure anything twice (either manually or
> by generating a file like "tomcat-apache.conf").

Just for discussion's sake, I've used Instant ASP! ('!' theirs, not mine)
from Halcyon Software.  It's a servlet engine/container that supports
ASP/VBScript.  The reason I'm mentioning it is because it adds only two
configuration directives to httpd.conf - pointers to two different
properties files, neither of which you have to edit by hand.  There's an
applet-based configuration mechanism that rox0rs.  Lets you setup different
contexts from tabbed dialogs, etc.  I have to say, "hella cool".

Anyways, the point is that you don't have to touch a single configuration
file by hand =)  I wonder how important "window dressing" things like this
are in pushing Tomcat?

- r