tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From "Barry Dunne" <>
Subject [BUG] j_security_check forward no longer working
Date Tue, 14 Nov 2000 13:05:54 GMT

I need to trap the username and password entered by the user when accessing
a secured web page, this is so that I can use this information when
connecting to an external system in a servlet.

The method I used was to have form based authentication but with the action
posting to a jsp rather than j_security_check, the jsp then stores the
username/password in the session and forwards the info on to

This works perfectly with tomcat 3.2 beta 4, but tomcat 4 milestone 4 throws
an exception and creates a blank file called j_security_check in the login

I am running on redhat linux 7 with sun jdk 1.3.

The attached war file is the files I am using and the text file shows the
different output when run in v3.2 and v4.