tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From Gomez Henri <>
Subject RE: [PROPOSAL] Tomcat 4.0 Milestone 5
Date Mon, 27 Nov 2000 20:59:15 GMT
> > It seems clear for you that Tomcat 3.2 (and the full 3.x line)
> > are allready products in end of life.
> I don't know how you reached that conclusion, but I'm sure it's wrong -
> tomcat 3.x is far from over :-)

I just noticed that many of tomcat developers seems to focus only on TC 3.2
release and 4.0, but no more on 3.3. There is no support for 3.3 branch appart
you and nacho (and a very little from me).

> I know there is a lot of missinformation and confusions and interests,
> but AFAIK development continues on 3.3 and probably will continue after
> that ( we hope the core will be frozen after that - but it's not
> because
> it'll be "end of life" but because it'll be in a finally ready and we
> can
> start working on individual modules and new features ).

I know it's an open source project and everyone can contribute but there will
be 2 concurrents projects at Apache. May be not a good thing but will help give
a substantial emulation between 3.3 and 4.0 teams. 4.0 appears to be a Sun
Project (most of the active developpers on TC 4.0 branch are Sun employees).
3.3 seems a more open project. I saw that from outside...

> An open source project is alive as long as people are using and
> contributing to it - and there are many things that are developed right
> now - and the code continue to be enhanced and improved. That's what
> happen with tomcat 3.x.

The question is now : Will 3.3 will restart from 3.2 release or must we try to
reinject patch from 3.2 to 3.3. I could help on ajp13 stuff (both native
mod_jk, mod_jserv and java ajp12/13).

View raw message