tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From Rogério Meneguelli Gatto <ga...@softwaredesign.com.br>
Subject Re: [ANNOUNCEMENT] Tomcat 3.2 Final Release
Date Thu, 30 Nov 2000 21:05:18 GMT
Craig and Henry,

First of all, thanks for the attention.  Comments bellow.

Craig R. McClanahan wrote:

>> I understand that not every contribution is accepted, but I would like to at
>> least know why... Wasn't it well implemented?  Too dangerous to commit without
>> more testing?  Im my case, are "\\machine\share\webapp" docbases incompatible
>> with other goals?
>>
> The way I viewed my responsibility as Release Manager was to actually get a release
> created, that worked for the large majority of people and didn't have any critical
> bugs that affected most people.  Bug reporting and patch contributions happen
> continually -- yours happened to come in the day before a final release was planned
> to be created.  The ***last*** thing that a release manager should do is apply a
> patch that could destabilize the release, without being able to go through a beta
> cycle with it.  In your case, even though the patch didn't break my simple tests, I
> judged the risk to be too high, given the timing.

And you're absolutely right :-)  What frustrated me was the lack of a response:
you applied the patch, did some testing, and decided that it should go through
more testing before being accepted, and I didn't know about it.  It appeared to
me I was completely ignored, which now I know wasn't true.  Of course I posted
it just yesterday, and should have waited a bit more before complaining, but
adding up the silence on the first post made me feel ignored :-)

As you said you applied the patch, I'll not repost it (unless requested, of
course).

Congratulations for the great job on 3.2, we're all glad!  If you need anything
related to the patch, or anytinhg else, I'm a volunteer.

Regards,
Rogério Gatto

--
Rogério Meneguelli Gatto     |  ICQ# 25775025
Analista de Sistemas Pleno   |  +55 19 3254-6518 ext 223