tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From "Craig R. McClanahan" <Craig.McClana...@eng.sun.com>
Subject Re: [Tomcat 4.0] Pain building...
Date Tue, 28 Nov 2000 04:03:01 GMT
See below.

Remy Maucherat wrote:

> the
> our
> > >
> > > Can you send the compilation errors you get ? Perhaps it's just yet
> another
> > > conditional compilation problem ...
> > >

> > There is still such a problem related to the Tyrex stuff.  You have to do
> > "./build.sh" twice to get it to work.
> >
> > By the way, Remy, it appears you haven't updated the README.txt file in
> the
> > top-level source directory with respect to the optional Tyrex stuff ...
> other
> > than that, the README.txt looks like it is up to date.
>
> Oh, ok. On my setup, I have it building correctly without Tyrex.
> Actually, I didn't update README.txt about Tyrex, because I didn't intend to
> require Tyrex. I have a conditional switch to prevent the file from being
> compiled.
>
> However, if you have the JDBC 2 extensions installed (or JDBC 3), the
> ResourceFactory file will be compiled. Since it uses the
> TyrexDataSourceFactory, the compiler (or Ant) will also try to compile it,
> despite the conditional compile switch for Tyrex :(
> On the second run, since the compilation of ResourceFactory succeded in the
> first run, it won't attempt to compile TyrexDataSourceFactory because of the
> conditional switch.
>
> What should we do ?

Here's what I would suggest.

Overriding principle:  Executing "./build.sh clean ; ./build.sh" should *always*
succeed cleanly, unless the developer's environment is missing a required
component.

Implications for this situation:  will the JNDI naming component run correctly
without Tyrex?  If so, then the build procedure should be managed to build the
first time, even if JDBC standard extensions are present (which they are in my
environment because I need them for other things).  If not, then the build
procedure should not bother creating any of the naming stuff unless Tyrex is
present.

> Remy

Craig

PS:  By the way, how do you configure the actual resource factories that are
referenced by <res-ref> entries in the web.xml file?  For example, I want to
create a JDBC data source for a particular username/password combination on a
particular database -- how do I do that?