tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From "Craig R. McClanahan" <Craig.McClana...@eng.sun.com>
Subject Re: [PROPOSAL] Tomcat 4.0 Milestone 5
Date Mon, 27 Nov 2000 23:17:29 GMT
Gomez Henri wrote:

> [snip]
> I know it's an open source project and everyone can contribute but there will
> be 2 concurrents projects at Apache. May be not a good thing but will help give
> a substantial emulation between 3.3 and 4.0 teams. 4.0 appears to be a Sun
> Project (most of the active developpers on TC 4.0 branch are Sun employees).
> 3.3 seems a more open project. I saw that from outside...

Although most of the jakarta-tomcat-4.0 commits are being done by people that
currently work for Sun, you might want to check the commit messages for the
"Submitted by" information that tells you where the bug reports and/or patches are
coming from.  Quite a wide variety of folks have been involved.

In addition, 100% of the people who have commit access to the Tomcat 3.x tree (i.e.
the "jakarta-tomcat" repository) also have commit access on "jakarta-tomcat-4.0" --
including you, Henri :-), so your efforts to improve it will be welcomed and do not
need to be filtered through any existing committer.

Craig McClanahan

PS:  Tomcat 4.0-m4 just went over 10,000 downloads of the binary distribution
(since 11/01/2000).  Tomcat 3.2-b7 and 3.2-b8 have totalled 8,095 downloads
(undoubtedly with some overlap) in roughly half that amount of time.  In both
cases, there are an additional unknown number of people keeping up via source
distributions, nightly builds, and/or anonymous CVS access.