tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From Jason Brittain <ja...@olliance.com>
Subject Re: [PROPOSAL] Tomcat 4.0 Milestone 5
Date Thu, 23 Nov 2000 00:27:51 GMT

Craig R. McClanahan wrote:

> Folks,
>
> I plan to cut a "milestone 5" release of Tomcat 4.0 this coming Friday (or,
> worst case, on Saturday).

*clap*  *clap*

> As a sneak preview of coming attractions, the
> following cool stuff will be included:
>
> * Initial version of the web connector for Apache

Lots of people have been eagarly awaiting this one..

> * Substantial performance optimizations on the
>   stand alone HTTP connector

This is great stuff too!

Just so you know, I've been looking at the AccessLogValve,
and am working on getting it into shape to be re-enabled
in the default config.  In the process, I'm writing a Valve
tester so we can test and benchmark Valves.  It's already
running, but it's not quite ready for release yet..

> * Support for a JNDI naming context (like J2EE
>   servers provide) even for Tomcat stand-alone.
>
> * Support for the new invocation service -- among
>   other things, this lets you bind Tomcat stand-alone
>   to port 80 without having to run as root!

These are nice bonuses that I hadn't yet expected.  :)

> * The usual assortment of bug fixes.
>
> After milestone 5, I propose that we consider Tomcat 4.0 to be "feature
> complete", so that we can commence with a beta cycle, and focus on shaking out
> remaining bugs -- aiming for a final release either late December or early
> January.  At the same time, we can start talking about features and
> functionality we'd like to see in Tomcat 4.1.
>
> Craig McClanahan

Sounds great!

Cheers.

--