tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From "Craig R. McClanahan" <Craig.McClana...@eng.sun.com>
Subject Re: cvs commit: jakarta-tomcat-4.0/service/share/org/apache/service/helpers NativeServiceHelper.java NativeServiceManager.java SimpleService.java
Date Wed, 22 Nov 2000 21:56:21 GMT
Remy Maucherat wrote:

> I think it would be a good idea if compiled versions of the service, and other
> native components were committed in the tree, esp for Windows.

I am not a fan of checking in binaries like this, for the same reason I don't want
to check in JARs.  I've seen too many cases where the developers forget to update
the JARs, or don't remember what version it is or where they got it.

I *am* a big fan of building the binaries and making them available for download,
coordinated with releases.  For example, the binaries for the 3.2 native stuff can
be found (for at least a couple of platforms) at:

    http://jakarta.apache.org/builds/tomcat/release/v3.2-beta-8/bin

and I would be happy to post compiled binaries for other platforms if people want
to send them to me.

> All of this looks great (I like the NT service thing :))) !

Pier, can you build the Windows binaries for me (for 4.0) on your machine once we
cut the next milestone?

> Remy

Craig